Thursday, June 4, 2015

Tightwad Diary June 4

My favorite Tightwad subject is Tightwad math!  I recently participated in a Facebook Tupperware Party hosted by a young lady I went to church with when my husband and I lived in Edmond, Oklahoma.  My husband started a new job recently and to save time (and out of a little laziness) we bought some pre-packaged individual servings of pudding, peaches and tomato juice.  So what's a Tightwad doing looking through a Tupperware website?  It's super expensive and small sour cream containers work, too.

Well, let's do the math!  Buying full size cans of tomato juice, whole peaches and packages of pudding to be made at home would save about $6 per month for the Hub's lunches.  The set of four 4 oz containers from Tupperware cost $15 plus tax and shipping which is a little less than $20.  These have a long term guarantee (http://www.tupperware.com/info/Warranty) and I expect without losing the lids, they will last about 7 years in their same condition, maybe longer.  I only look at my Tightwad math annually, so $6 multiplied by 12 months is $72 dollars.  I certainly made a good purchase of $20 to save $72.

So, what happened to the small sour cream containers? What's wrong with them? While I still re-use these and other containers like Cottage Cheese or Avacado Dip containers for short term storage in the refrigerator, they are not microwave safe (follow this link to learn more http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/tools-products/cookware-bakeware/food-containers-safe-for-microwave) and because they don't seal well, there's spillage and spoilage to consider. Tupperware is both microwave and dishwasher safe, so I bought these with confidence! 

How do you figure when to spend and when to recycle? Share your Tightwad Math stories here! I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment